The original Opera Theater was built in 1825, when the Town Hall
decided to construct a new Theater over the rests of the old 'dames
de Saint Laurent' convent. This new Opera Theater was a work of two
architects from Avignon, Bondon and Frary. Unfortunately a fire destroyed
the building in 1846. A new building was immediately commissioned
to the architects Théodore Charpentier and Léon Feuchères.
The building was finished in 1847. Two copies of the original sculptures
dedicated to Molière and Corneille decorate the façade
of the current Opera House.
The Opera houses theater and opera performances. In July, it holds
the most important plays of the world famous Theater Festival.