In the neighboring village of Plopis we find another outstanding example of vernacular religious wooden architecture.
Located in the county of Chioar, in the Cavnic River valley, the church of the Holy Archangels was built between 1796-1798 by the villagers from Plopis. The church is made of wooden beams arrange according to the Blockbau system (horizontal beams). It has a rectangular plan with a porch to the west and an altar with a polygonal apse. The nave is covered by a three-cusped vault, the only vault of this type to be found inside a wooden church. The sculpted decoration of the outside is quite impressive. The facades are embellished with a simple semicircular belt and punctured with superimposed windows with accolade-shaped frames. The cornice is highlighted by a dovetail-shaped molded freeze while the corbels of the roof have stepped ends. The porch is closed by a parapet with delicately molded traceries and scalloped arches that rest on sculpted pillars. The roof that covers the nave and the narthex forms a unitary structure with a half-cone shaped western ending. The slender bell tower rises partially above both the narthex and the porch. It has a bell room with an open gallery surrounded by a parapet with tracery and scalloped arches, and is covered by a high-pitched pyramid shaped roof with four corner pinnacles. The painted decoration made in 1811 by Stefan Zugravu, a native of the village, is preserved on the iconostasis. There are fragments also on the vault of the nave among which remarkable is the scene of the Descent from the Cross.
♥ Visit Tagulandang Island ♥