Eight hundred years ago, this was Paris' central market. Before
1500 one could find business of all types. In the 15th century it
specialized in food. The market grew with the city of Paris, causing
many logistic problems. For this reason, in 1969, the food market
was moved outside the town center - close to the Orly Airport. For
several years, the place was known as 'le trou des Halles' (=hole
of the Halles). Another famous nickname for this area was "Le
ventre de Paris" (Paris stomach) as Paris life was drumming according
to this market. It was made famous by Emile Zola in his book: "Le
ventre de Paris".
Recently the empty space was filled with a great park on the surface, an underground mall and a huge metro station - the 'Châtelet-les-Halles' station.
Close to this center sits the second biggest church in Paris: the Church of Saint Eustace.
♥ Visit Tagulandang Island ♥